My Blog List

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Road Trippin"



   I have been on probably hundreds of road trips in my life. From back before I can remember. I think my father liked the feel of the wheels beneath his feet. Earliest memories are road trips in the 50's baby blue Ford station wagon. No seat belts. Free range station wagoners were we. My mom would have the baby in her lap. and we would pick out ( and pick fights about ) where our spot would be for the day. The big back space where we could curl up with the bedding and luggage and read. The big ice chest with food for stopping and picnicking. The tent on top of the car for sleeping at nights. When I look back, I am amazed at how patient they were with us. Because, to this day, my memories of those early road trips are all of fun times and great adventures.
   Went on day trips. My Dad loved history. So we explored all the historic spots. We went on week end trips. My Gramma lived in Upper Michigan, we lived in Minneapolis. Lots of trips to Grammas house. We went on long trips...New Hampshire. Washington State, South Dakota, Idaho. And when I was 10 we packed up and moved all our family and belongings to that great pacific northwest.
  After I got married, we drove in a new 60s Ford pickup truck with our few doodads and our new baby from Washington to New Hampshire. He rode in an apple box on the floor. Its a long way. For awhile I only flew back to see my family. Finally, when I had kids old enough to drive, I got another road trip. In a big burly 70s Ford pick up. Canopy on the back. Made us a little house back there. Twelve of us. You should have seen peoples faces when the back opened and we all came piling out.
   I did the train several times, too. Which is great and lots of fun. But you can't beat the drive.
   This summer I got to do it again. A road trip with my girl, who drives like she was to the manor born, and my grandkids. I just want you all to know this. We live in the most diverse, beautiful, amazing place. A place that is fruitful, industrious, well maintained, gracious, wealthy in the things that matter. Like people. Kind, pleasant, helpful, interesting people who are full of stories, wisdom and adventure. Like work. There is help wanted signs everywhere. Like water. Beautiful ponds, lakes, creeks, rivers. Like farms. Providing us with sustenance. cows, horses, sheep, pigs, chickens. goats. Grain, corn, crops upon crops. Hay bales. Millions of hay bales. Irrigation dragons spewing out life giving water to make things grow. Prairies. Mountains. Forests.
   And don't let the media put you into panic mode. They are full of baloney. Our infra structure is the best! Every where they are working on our roads and bridges. The highways are full of cars. Railroads lace the nation. There are some mighty long trains out there. Semis . Millions of semis, hauling our goods. Boats and barges coming and going on the rivers. Airplanes flying overhead. Wind farms and hydros cranking out our power. And you know what else? There are hiking/walking trails. Everywhere. Take a hike.
   The abundance of it all can take your breath away. Song birds, ducks, geese, gamebirds. Deer, elk, moose, bears, bison. Fish, clams, crawdaddys. We get to enjoy all this. From sea to shining sea. It's America. It's ours. If you can possibly do it..take a road trip. For a day or a week or a month or a year. Just do it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh the memories. Love the visual of yourtribe piling out of the truck cap! We were freerange station wagoners too. Mama had a Chevy Biscayne, kinda goldy colored. We loved it with the back seats down going home to Dole Valley at night. Going to Vancouver was almost a road trip itself back inthe day. I remember a road trip to Canada the summer before I was three. When I was six we went to Suth Dakota. We, kyds, slept in the car and my folks made a tent off the back of the station wagon for themselves. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Mom! And we were so lucky to be able to see you passing through! I love roadtripping too. Must be in the blood!

    ReplyDelete